Ooty at a glance; all necessary information for first timer.
Not many hill stations are preferred to be a location for a second home. Ooty is an exception, because;
1. It’s proximity to larger cities like Coimbatore, b,lore and many cities in Kerala.
- Coimbatore (Nearest airport) – 80 km.
- Bangalore – 265 kms
- Kochi – 274 kms
- Mysore – 125 kms
- Chennai – 546 kms
- Hyderabad – 841 kms
- Delhi – 2404 kms
- Mumbai – 1166 kms
2. Schools and colleges – Many of India’s top schools are in Ooty.
- Emerald Heights College for Women, Finger Post
- Government Arts College, Stone House Hill
- Government Polytechnic, Finger Post
- JSS College of Pharmacy, Rocklands
- Merit Swiss Asian School of Hotel Management, Havelock Road
- Monarch International College of Hotel Management, Havelock Road
- Sacred Heart Technical Institute, Charing Cross
- St. Joseph’s College of Education
- St. Josephs Industrial School, Finger Post
- Suverna International Institute of Management Studies, Bluemountain School Road
- Tribal research Centre Tamil University, M.Palada
There are about 31 schools in Ooty as listed in Wikipedia. Here are some major schools;
- Good Shepherd International School, Ooty
- St. Joseph’s Higher Secondary School, Ooty
- Breeks Memorial School, Ooty
- Hebron School, Ooty
- The Laidlaw Memorial School and Junior College, Ketti, Ooty
- Lawrence School, Lovedale, Ooty
- Woodside School, Ooty
3. The climate – the primary reason for Ooty chosen as a premium location for a second home.
The climate is pleasant throughout the year being mild. As wikipedia suggests, the town appears to be eternally stuck in the spring season.
Temperatures are relatively consistent throughout the year;
- Average high temperatures:17–20 °C (63–68 °F)
- Average low temperatures:approximately 5–12 °C (41–54 °F).
4. It has got a great culture.
- Town built by Europeans mainly for recreation
- There are a large number of historically important places
- A large area of Ooty is planned
- Since there are a large number of tourists coming in, people are open to all cultures
5. It’s peaceful with low crime rate.
- Ooty enjoys one of the lowest crime rates in India.
6. It’s open to all religious and lingual communities.
- People from all over the world lives in Ooty especially from southern parts of India.
- Though main language is Tamil, English, Kannada and Malayalam are widely spoken and understood.
7. There are many good restaurants in Ooty; as per TripAdvisor, here are the top ten.
- Earl’s Secret – Ranked #1 of 31 in Ooty
- Big Bite Chicken – Ranked #2 of 31 in Ooty
- The Garden Cafe – Ranked #3 of 31 in Ooty
- Willy’s Coffee Pub – Ranked #4 of 31 in Ooty
- Nahar’s Sidewalk Cafe – Ranked #5 of 31 in Ooty
- Domino’s Pizza – Ranked #6 of 31 in Ooty
- Hotel Pankaj Bhojanalaya – Ranked #7 of 31 in Ooty
- glyngarth villa resturant – Ranked #8 of 31 in Ooty
- Hotel blue hills – Ranked #9 of 31 in Ooty
- Cafe Coffee Day – Ranked #10 of 31 in Ooty
8. Real estate developments – There are many options for those who are looking for real estate investments or second home
- Real estate developers for apartments and villas.
- Land for sale
- Bungalows for sale
- Agricultural land for sale
9. Recreational activities
Adventure sports and recreational activities
- Hang gliding
- Ooty Golf Course
- Horse riding
Lot more public monuments and parks are available for those who love a calmer atmosphere.
10. Cultivate what you eat and sell excess; If you own property in Ooty, you have the freedom of cultivating
- English vegetables: broccoli,brussel sprouts,zuchhini,iceberg lettuce,carrots,rose mary,thyme,oregano,celery,leeks,green peas,potatoes
- English fruits: peaches, plums, pears and strawberries
Real estate investments in Ooty as an investment and as a second home are being considered by many. Ooty invites people to have a calmer retired life or weekends away from the hustle of city to spend time participating in an adventurous sport or at a serene hillside cottage.
- Why A Second Home in Ooty is Fascinating? Top 8 Recreational Activities in Ooty. August 21, 2013
- Where Should You Buy Your Second Home, Ooty or Coonoor? August 20, 2013
- 10 Questions To Ask Yourself Before Buying A Second Home in Ooty? August 20, 2013
- 9 Reasons To Own A Second Home In Ooty August 20, 2013
- What Makes Real Estate in Nilgiris Evergreen or Is It Just A Buzz? August 14, 2013